You can feel it all around you. Change – big change – is in the air. There is a new hope for the future. The election of President-Elect Barack Obama is certainly the most dramatic sign of the coming of the Age of Aquarius (2012). He is a new kind of President, put in office by the youth who loudly declared they no longer want to be ruled by the fears of the past – but by the hopes for the future.
And, what about you? Are you being governed by old ways of being, thinking or doing that you’d like to vote out of office?
Holding on to the past is the one of the greatest sources of suffering that humans inflict upon themselves. Usually, we do this without even knowing it. Our repeating patterns create habits that actually become part of our biology in the form of rigid and fixed neural pathways in the brain.
Once neural pathways are set – then memory is stored in the body and our thoughts and actions are on auto-pilot. We can call this unconsciousness or sleep walking through life. This can be useful – in the case of driving – so that you are not relearning to drive every time you get into the car. But, It can also make us sick or even destroy us – in the case of a mind trapped in the habit of ceaseless worry and negativity.
One of the qualities of the Age of Aquarius (also called the Information Age) is that everything moves very fast. In order to thrive, we must learn to become flexible, agile and light – not only in our bodies, but in our minds.
One of the many benefits of Kundalini Yoga and Meditation is its ability to interrupt or break the continuous flow of habitual thought forms and old neural connections in the brain to create new neural pathways and thus creating new thought forms more aligned with your highest potential.
Read More about the Spiritual Practice of Letting Go.
No Kundalini Yoga in your area?
Here are a few suggestions to Let Go of the Past:
Start on the physical – the Universe loves grand gestures !
- Write down on pieces of paper 10 habits you want to drop – then burn them one by one.
- Go on a Cleanse
- Clean out closets of old clothes etc. – look in truth at what these things represent to you
- Throw away old letters, pictures etc. especially relationships that no longer serve you
- Don’t listen to thoughts that keep you in the past – stay PRESENT with yourself
- Be open to opportunities that help you GROW – regularly do something different to shake up your life
- It doesn’t matter who you were – it matters who you are right now! You have CHOICE !
- Move your furniture around to make a different arrangement
- Set boundaries – know that when you say NO to others you are saying Yes to yourself !
- FORGIVE – the people in your past that have hurt you and especially forgive yourself knowing that you did your best with what you had …
Peace to you